Sunday, September 2, 2007

Okay, So Maybe I Overreacted...

Just a little bit...But this does have the feel of the Mets hitting rock bottom with that loss to the Phillies on Thursday...And then getting back up... All the sports cliches applied..."Gut Check Time"..."See what this team is made of.."...I'm sure there are more that are eluding me at the moment...But they stepped up HUGE against Los Bravos this weekend...IN ATLANTA...I must admit, I doubted, and I hate myself for doubting, but I have seldom been so happy to be wrong about something.

Now, they certainly are not out of the woods yet, but the sweep of the Braves combined with the Phillies losing 2 out of 3 to the Marlins certainly made the future look a whole lot brighter, and gave the Mets a little breathing room.

And on top of all that, John Maine looked like John Maine again, Pedro Feliciano looked like Pedro Feliciano again, Carlos Delgado had a couple of huge hits, Pelfrey looked like the guy they have been telling us he is.

Not to swing too far in the other direction, but things may just be falling into place for the Metropolitans at just the right time.

And PEDRO pitches tomorrow.

3 comments:

Zoooma said...

That 4 game sweep by Philly was sick and it should be obvious I mean sick as in disfuckinggusting.

After that 4th loss, I was about 90% not giving a damn what the Mets do until next season. My Give-A-Damn was almost completely fucking broken. After that disgraceful 4 games, I felt that the Mets simply did not deserve to be in the postseason.

Then came the sweep of that jerkoff team from Atlanta who I might forever hate even if they're in last place someday. Ain't no other team in baseball, not even the Yankees, that I completely hate, only the Braves. But the Mets sweeping them IN atlanta, well, it kinda restored my faith in the team.

And then Pedro wasn't great yesterday, 3 runs (2 earned) in 5 innings but the Mets got the win.

And now I'm actually wanting Atlanta to beat Philly for 3 in a row... Obviously I knew this could be a possibility, actually wanting atlanta to win games... it'll help put some distance between the Mets and 2nd place.

Man, this hot then cold then hot then cold stuff sucks! But lookin' forward to October!

Paticus said...

aka- I think we were in about the same place.
Though I think I will always hate the Yankees more.
I am hoping that the hot/cold thing will now be a thing of the past. I really hope that the combo of the sweep by philly low and the sweep of Atlanta/return of Pedro high will vault them to an actual hot streak.

Zoooma said...

And another win by Pedro, another 5 innings, two Bases Loaded jams he got into (not good) but he got out of 'em... he was better, no runs this time, supposedly had a pitch limit of like 75 but I think went over 100...

feelin' better about this. You were right about the hot streak.

Now 2 more against Atlanta and it's okay knowing the Mets can lose both and no big whoop. Not great if they did but it's better than them absolutely needing to win 'em both in order to gain ground on Atlanta. Looks like the Mets are cruising... might not finish with a Red Sox-like stellar year-end record, maybe not even 95 wins... but another Eastern Division title ain't bad!

Mets-Yanks World Series? Would be sweet! That'll excite the crap out of me. Mets-Red Sox: that'll freakin' scare me.