Thursday, August 20, 2009

Manager....

Okay, so even the most optimistic of Mets fans must be pretty sure that this season is now a washout, and there are many reasons for that, injuries certainly not being the least of it.

I will preface these comments by saying that I live in Florida, so I do not get to watch the Mets all that often, but I was reading the recap of last night's game on Metsblog, and this sentence stood out for me...

"In the second, with the score just 3–0, and two outs, and runners on the corners, Anderson Hernandez picked up a ground ball, looked to flip to second for an inning-ending force out, by Luis Castillo was standing flat footed, in the hole between first and second, no place near the bag, positioned for the pull-hitting Garret Anderson – so, Hernandez double clutched, threw to first, but it was too late, the runner was safe, a run scored and the inning continued… and continued… and continued…"- Written by Matthew Cerrone.

Now, it seems to me that I have read(and seen) far too much of this from the Mets this season. Just basic lack of fundamental baseball, and while that is obviously the player's fault, I also pretty squarely place blame on the manager. isn't he the one who is supposed to get these guys ready to play ? This stuff is just unacceptable. And it's not like they are all young guys finding their way in the game.

More and more, I think this team needs another manager. Someone who is going to make them focus. is that Valentine ? maybe. I don't know....But I don't think it's Manuel.

No comments: